Export for XPress
This AppleWorks add-on converts the text in the front AppleWorks document to a text file with tags for Quark XPress.
This is one of 40 scripts in the Enhancement Pack for AppleWorks.
The Export for XPress item is in the Word Processing sub-menu of AppleWorks Scripts Menu. To use it:Advanced
To use the exported XPress tag file in a Quark XPress document:
- Open or create a word processing document.
- Select the Export for XPress menu item.
- When prompted by the standard Save As dialog, give the exported file a name and location.
This version exports:
- Position the text cursor in a text box.
- In the File menu, select Get Text.
- Select the exported XPTag file.
- Paragraph style names
- Paragraph labels. AppleWorks numeric, Roman, Legal and other paragraph labels are converted to actual text for display in XPress.
- Bold and italic text styles.
- Only one text color (RGB% = 40,0,80).
To export the contents of an AppleWorks text frame, copy and paste it into a temporary word processing document, then run the script.Requirements
This version does not tag the following:
If a paragraph has a paragraph level (which you adjust by selecting Move Right in the Outline menu) greater than 1, then the level is appended to the style name when exported. For instance, if a paragraph uses the style Body and has a paragraph level of 3, it is exported with the paragraph style tag Body3.
- Underline, outline or any text style except italic and bold.
- Character user style names. Character styles are not exported since AppleWorks 6 (unlike AppleWorks 5) does not provide AppleScript access.
- Definitions of user styles. You need to have already defined the same style names in the XPress document. This is actually handy since you can set up the XPress template with more properties (eg leading paragraph height, drop caps) than can be defined in AppleWorks.
If your AppleWorks and XPress documents dont have exact matching style names (eg AppleWorks Body3 needs to map to your XPress documents Subpoint style, then you need to open the created XPTag file and replace any occurrence (eg find @Body3:, replace with @Subpoint:. AppleWorks and SimpleText can do search and replace of all occurrences in one go.
An upcoming version of this script will allow mapping of different style names and export more properties. Let us know whats most important to you.
Operates on the text body of the active word processing document.Download
This script works with AppleWorks 6. It works with AppleWorks 5 but AppleWorks incorrectly returns style names in the form Untitled n.
Only registered users are permitted to use the supplied files after 14 days.
This script is included in the Enhancement Pack for AppleWorks, not supplied separately.Scripting
This script is read only. Some of the main statements are:Please email us any queries about this page.
set styleName to paragraph style of paragraphRef
set paragraphLevel to level of paragraphRef
set uniformStyles to uniform styles of paragraphRef
set offStyles to off styles of uniformStyles
set onStyles to on styles of uniformStyles
set containsBold to offStyles does not contain bold and onStyles does not contain bold
set containsItalic to offStyles does not contain italic and onStyles does not contain italic